Black and White Cookies
“New York black and white deli cookies.”
Ingredients For Black and White Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 1 (1 ounce) square bittersweet chocolate, chopped
How To Prepare Black and White Cookies
It takes 20 minutes to prepare, 30 minutes to cook & gets ready in 1 hour 20 minutes. It offers 24 servings.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Butter 2 baking sheets.
- In a medium bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in the milk, vanilla, and lemon extract. Combine cake flour and all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually blend into the creamed mixture. Drop tablespoonfuls of the dough 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until edges begin to brown, about 20 to 30 minutes. Cool completely.
- Place confectioners sugar in large bowl. Mix in boiling water one tablespoon at a time until mixture is thick and spreadable. (Add more than the indicated amount if you need to).
- Transfer half of the frosting to the top of a double boiler set over simmering water. Stir in the chocolate. Warm mixture, stirring frequently, until the chocolate melts. Remove from heat.
- With a brush, coat half the cookie with chocolate frosting and the other half with the white frosting. Set on waxed paper until frosting hardens.